Sunday 4 October 2015

The Driving Test

Being 17 (and having turned 18 by the time you read this), it was a year of learning to drive.

We did all the normal things like getting a driving instructor, practicing and doing the whole parking thing.  I've definitely gotten a few extra grey hairs along the way, but we all managed to get out of it alive.

I was happy to impart to you one piece of knowledge I received from my dad:  If you can drive, you can park.  So we concentrated a lot on the driving aspect and really only did parking towards the end of the period.

Then, as such things always happen quicker than what you are prepared for, the day of the driving test came along.  And you managed to get the most scary instructor of them all - Hamish.  Off to the car you went and I sat down, pretending not to look and be nervous.

I walk around, check Facebook, read email, pace.  Then I see your car coming into the parking lot earlier than what I expected.  

Oh no, was my first thought.  

"I hope you're OK."  "We can make another booking soon.", I practice.

As you got out of the car I read your expression - YOU HAD PASSED!  You came charging across the lot and threw your arms around me, your smile was something to behold.  

Thunderchild, you did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment