Tuesday 9 August 2011

Clothing and the iPad

"Daddy, there's a competition and if I win I will get an iPad", says Thunderchild to me as I get home from work last Friday.  "OK, what must you do?" I ask, wondering what she's going to hit me with.  "Collect clothing for the poor people", she says excitedly.

She then goes on to explain what the drive is about, who started it and which schools are involved (looks like some of the top schools in SA have joined in).  To view the charity, go to http://clothing4children.org/. When I hear the number of schools I start to realize that her chances of winning are kind of slim.  I know I'll have to rather concentrate on the giving aspect instead of on the winning part.  Luckily for me, TC is just that sort of person:  she likes to help people.  Always has.

So this past weekend we start sorting out our clothes into two heaps:

  • those that fit NOW (we keep these)
  • those that fitted in the past or those that we know will never fit again (we give these)
So between TC, myself and the wife we manage to get nearly 2 large bags full of clothing.  Could've given more, but we had cleaned out our cupboards about 2 months ago.  Yet she's still not finished.  I have to please send everyone at work an email asking for clothes, which I promptly do.  So too my wife.  

Now, how to get her friends involved that are not in her school (she goes to a school that's not in our feeder area).  This is just where my genius eldest comes up with a brilliant idea (she has a tendency to do this):  create a Facebook invite!  How the hell?  I would never have thought of this.  So off TC goes and does the FB invite.  By the end of the evening she already has a few replies, so it looks like she could just pull it off.

Slowly, the iPad idea is disappearing.  She just wants to get as many clothes as possible for her school and the charity.  Well done TC, Daddy's proud of you.

"Na die gelag..."

No comments:

Post a Comment